MEDIA ADVISORY: Bay Area CSU leaders address African American congregations on Feb. 19 "Super Sunday"
WHAT: The seventh annual Super Sunday events. California State University (CSU) officials will address the congregations of Bay Area African American churches to inform parents and children of the advantages of a college education and how to start planning for college. After the services, parents and students will have the opportunity to talk to CSU representatives and pick up materials about college admissions, the application process and financial aid.
Super Sunday is produced by the CSU African American Initiative, a partnership between CSU campuses and African American religious leaders with the goal of increasing college going rates among African Americans students. This year, events will be held at more than 100 predominantly African American churches statewide.
WHO: Among the CSU officials addressing Bay Area congregations are SF State President Robert A. Corrigan, Vice President of University Advancement Robert Nava, Dean of the College of Education Jacob Perea and Associate Dean of the College of Science and Engineering Lisa White.
WHEN: Sunday, Feb. 19 at the times listed below.
WHERE: San Francisco locations include:
- President Corrigan will speak at the 8 and 11 a.m. services at Providence Baptist Church, 1601 McKinnon St., San Francisco.
- Vice President Nava will speak at the 10 a.m. service at Third Baptist Church, 1399 McAllister St., San Francisco.
- Dean Perea will speak at the 10:30 a.m. service at Ingleside Presbyterian Church, 1345 Ocean Ave., San Francisco.
- Dean White will speak at the 1 p.m. service at City of Refuge, 1025 Howard St., San Francisco.
- Vice President Nava will speak at the Grace Tabernacle Church event, held at City College of San Francisco, Southeast Campus (Alex L. Pritcher Jr. Community Room), 1800 Oakdale Ave., San Francisco at 1:30 p.m. The SF State Gospel Choir will provide the music.
For a full list of participating churches and more information about the statewide effort visit: http://www.calstate.edu/supersunday/