Media Advisory: San Francisco State University to hold 116th Commencement on May 25 at AT&T Park
SAN FRANCISCO, May 23, 2017 -- San Francisco State University will hold its 116th Commencement ceremony on Thursday, May 25. A crowd of 35,000 is expected to be on hand as more than 8,800 undergraduate and graduate students receive their degrees at AT&T Park. The ceremony will feature noted philanthropist, Neda Nobari, famed crooner Johnny Mathis, Emmy-award winning producer Peter Casey and co-founder of Black Lives Matter Alicia Garza.
Media planning to attend should register in advance with University Communications by calling (415) 338-1665 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about Commencement, visit: http://commencement.sfsu.edu.
WHAT: San Francisco State University's 116th Commencement ceremony
· Commencement speaker
-Neda Nobari, Iranian-born philanthropist and former fashion industry executive
· Honorary degree recipients
- Alum Peter Casey, writer, creator and producer of TV hits such as “Frasier,” “Cheers” and “Wings”
- Alum Johnny Mathis, one of the most popular recording artists of all time
· Honorary degree recipients
- Talia Hart, a College of Science & Engineering graduate who is heading to Harvard to pursue a Ph.D. in biology
- Graduate student Alicia Garza, College of Ethnic Studies, one of the co-founders of Black Lives Matter.
· A fireworks display will conclude the event.
WHEN: Thursday, May 25, 2017
· 3 p.m.: AT&T Park opens to media
· 5:30 p.m.: Student procession begins
· 6:30 p.m.: Ceremony begins (expected duration: two to three hours)
WHERE: AT&T Park, San Francisco
· Media should check in at the O'Doul Gate Media Entrance, located next to the Giants Dugout Store.
Media planning to cover the event should be advised of the following:
· All members of the media will be asked to display valid identification identifying themselves and the organization they represent.
· Wi-Fi, workspaces with outlets and light refreshments will be available.
· Media will not be permitted on the field or stage at any time.
· Interviews with Commencement speaker Neda Nobari and the exceptional graduating students can be arranged through University Communications. For student bios, visit: http://news.sfsu.edu/news-story/sf-state-honor-12-outstanding-graduates-...
San Francisco State University is a doctoral public university serving students from the San Francisco Bay Area, across California and beyond, with nationally acclaimed programs that span a broad range of disciplines. Nearly 30,000 students enroll at the University each year, and its more than 249,000 graduates have contributed to the economic, cultural and civic fabric of San Francisco and beyond. Through them — and more than 1,700 world-class faculty members — SF State proudly embraces its legacy of academic excellence, community engagement and commitment to social justice. For more information, visit sfsu.edu.